For me there’s a number of choices that fill this role, but here are the top entries, in no particular order.
- Any of the Back To The Future movies. And yes, that includes the third one, you high-brow son-of-a-bitch.
- Casino, or as it’s commonly known, Goodfellas 2
- Goodfellas, which at this point I could almost certainly watch with the sound (and possibly the video) entirely off.
- Gangs of New York. I recognize this may not be on many people’s lists, but I fucking love that movie. Almost every single scene with Daniel Day Lewis is mesmerizing.
- The Departed. I know, I know. Gangster movie number four. Predictable. But, for real, this movie is more than that. Sure, the gangster elements are great, but it’s really a complete film–and insanely quotable.
There’s more, I’m sure, but you get the point.
Fact is, when you’re aimlessly drifting through your TV’s guide function and it’s just an endless desert of shit, there’s nothing like coming across that Casino oasis. You’re locked in.
Polar Opposite of this Feeling?: Thinking you’ve found a good one only to realize that in your excitement you didn’t notice it was basically over. The search begins anew.